264 total views
South African unrest has killed 212 lives, the authorities reported on Friday, a significant increase from the 117 deaths disclosed the day before.
Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, a government minister, told a press conference that the majority of the fresh fatalities had happened in the southeastern province of KwaZulu-Natal, the epicentre of the violence.
However, she stated that the situation was “gradually and firmly returning to normalcy.”
Ntshavheni stated that 1,488 new instances were recorded in KZN overnight, but provided no further information.
In addition, the province recorded 89 deaths in the last 24 hours.
More than 2,550 people have been arrested, Ntshavheni said.
There were no new incidents reported in Gauteng province which includes the financial capital Johannesburg, where 56 cases of violence or looting have been recorded since the start of the unrest a week ago.
President Cyril Ramaphosa, who is due to address the nation on Friday night, said earlier that the unrest had been “planned” and the government would hunt down those responsible.